Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Treasures on earth


There is a verse in the bible that says in Matthew 6:19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal."

You know I was looking at a peice of artwork with an attached story that Kirsten wrote for school. It doesn't have a title but I would love to title it something like "Treasure on earth" or "Honor" or "Childhood Hero's". HA! I just love what is written from the prospective of my almost 10 year old little girl.

I guess I have been sentimental for a few weeks now. The end of the year for us is alot of celebration. We string our days together like garland on a Christmas tree. It goes from Caleb's birthday to Thanksgiving, my birthday, Steph's birthday, Kirsten's birthday, Christmas, New Year's and finally Chris' birthday. I always used to think that it was just my birthday that brought about so much reflection. The older I get, I realize that I see everyday reflections of myself in my children.

So for the next few weeks I may be writing about some of these reflections, inward and out.

Kirsten age 9 (12-22-98) writes-

My mom is miraculous. Here are some things about her. She has brownish blonde, bright and straight but curly on the bottom hair (poor kid doesn't know really, I change it often) Her eyes are blue like the snow on a snowy day. (All her siblings say they've heard of yellow snow but BLUE?) She has a gorgeous bright lit up smile.

She usually, like right when I walk in the door, says, " hi, how was your day? " When we are alone she says, " what do you want to do together?" When I act funny she says," I love you so much you know that?"

She babysits every day besides the weekends. She also lets us do lots of sports. When we are not at school she teaches us lots of new things still. :)

I love my mom to death. I think she is amazing and talented. NO, I know she is amazing and talented.

PS. I hope you like it.
By Kirsten W.

So this is one treasure on earth that I am saving. The picture she drew of us side by side standing between trees, is adorable. I love their art work and wish I could save it all. With five children it is nearly impossible. But as my eldest daughter Steph is quickly approaching womanhood, I see myself stopping to capture more moments. I have quite a collective memory of each one of my five children.

Enjoy them! They grow up way too fast.

No comments: