Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Transcend

I was writing earlier and a word just popped out in my mind. It was nagging and wouldn't go away so I did what I always do; I pulled out the dictionary. The word was transcend. The meaning is 1 a: to rise above or go beyond the limits of b: to triumph over the negative or restrictive aspects of : overcome c: to be prior to, beyond, and above (the universe or material existence)2: to outstrip or outdo in some attribute, quality, or power intransitive verb: to rise above or extend notably beyond ordinary limits
Wow what a powerful meaning the word transcend has. That word makes me think of the character of Christ. He did transcend. He went beyond limits set on him. He did triumph over death, the grave and hell. He overcame! He is, was and will always be. He was prior to the beginning of time. John chapter 1 verse one begins
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men.
He came to outstrip and outdo the power of satan. He came so that we through him would be able to rise above every life situation and go beyond ordinary limits. Through him is eternal life. I would say that makes it possible for us to go beyond ordinary limits. He has overcome the world and because he has so can we. Read the following verses.
Jeremiah 1:19 They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. Luke 10:19 I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.John 16:33 I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the worldRomans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.1 John 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 1 John 5:4 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world he gave his one and only son that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
I think one of my favorites is John 16:33 right in the middle of it, he says I have told you these things so that you may have peace...IN THIS WORLD YOU WILL HAVE TROUBLE, BUT - BUT take heart, I HAVE OVERCOME the world.
I pray that you find peace and follow it.

No comments: